Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,030 pages of information and 229,415 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sir Charles William Hayward (1892-1983), CBE, was a Wolverhampton-born entrepreneur and philanthropist.
1892 September 3rd. Born the second child of John Hayward, a cycle manufacturer, and his wife Mary Williams.
1894 On the early death of his father, he and his older sister Marion Daisy were raised by their maternal grandmother, Sarah Ann Williams (née Patten), a locksmith 'employer at home' at Church Lane, Wolverhampton.
1901 Sarah Williams 51, widow, locksmith, employer at home, lived in Wolverhampton, with Clara Williams 24, Leonard Williams 20, Daisy Hayward 10, Charles Hayward 8
1911 Living at 26 Church Lane, Wolverhampton: Leonard Williams (age 30 born Wolverhampton), Lock manufacturer and Employer. With his wife Elizabeth Williams (age 30 born Tiberton, Worcs. ). Also his niece Daisy Hayward (age 20 born Wolverhampton) and his nephew Charles Hayward (age 18 born Wolverhampton), a Wood Pattern maker.
Began as an engineering apprentice, setting up his own business at the age of 19. He initially manufactured engineering patterns before moving into the emerging sidecar industry. Hayward's customers included AJS who bought his company in 1920, but retained him as Managing Director. The sidecar manufacturing business failed in 1929
1915 Married Hilda Arnold. The Hilda Hayward Swimming Pool was named in remembrance of her. The couple had one son, Jack Hayward, who was born in 1923.
1915 Patent relating to hinged flaps of side cars; Hayward was of Talbot Works, Stewart St, Wolverhampton. Several further patents over the next 10 years, mostly in conjunction with AJS
1923 June 14th. Birth of son Jack Arnold Hayward
1928 Moved to London to pursue a new career as a stockbroker and industrialist and founded Electric & General Industrial Trusts Ltd. which led to the formation of Firth Cleveland. This eventually had 23 factories in the UK as well as operations in the Netherlands, West Germany, South Africa and Australia. The Group was sold to GKN in 1970.
In 1961 Sir Charles set up the Hayward Foundation which donated millions of pounds to charity. It also financed the building of the Hayward Homes for the Elderly in Dunstall Road, Wolverhampton, where the Hayward family once lived.
Hayward was made a Freeman of the City of London in 1938 and was made CBE in 1970. He was further honoured with a knighthood in 1974.
In December 1972, Charles Hayward married his business partner, the former Company Secretary of Firth Cleveland, Elsie Darnell George. They purchased the Crown Tenancy of the island of Jethou near Guernsey, and lived there until Sir Charles's death.
1983 February 3rd. Died