Charles Harold Ray
Charles Harold Ray (1887-1950)
1950 Obituary 
"CHARLES HAROLD RAY was born in 1887 and educated at Leeds University. After serving his apprenticeship in the drawing office of the Leeds Forge Company, Ltd., from 1906 to 1910, he was engaged in the commercial side of Messrs. E. S. and A. Robinson, Ltd., Bristol, for two years. Short appointments then followed as a draughtsman with the Leeds Forge Co and the Blake Boiler, Wagon and Engineering Company, Ltd. In 1916 he joined the drawing office staff of Messrs. Head, Wrightson and Company, Ltd., Thornaby-on-Tees, with whom he remained until 1924 when he became a partner in a motor business at Allonby, Cumberland.
After acting as engineer's representative to a firm in Carlisle, from 1926 to 1936, he returned to Messrs. Head, Wrightson and Company to take up the appointment of chief wagon-designer, a position he retained until his death which occurred on 9th March 1950. Mr. Ray had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1940."