Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 129,286 pages of information and 204,290 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Harlowe Lowe (1840-1905)
1906 Obituary 
CHARLES HARLOWE LOWE, late Borough Surveyor of Hampstead, died at Felixstowe on the 13th June, 1905, in his sixty-fifth year. During his 30 years’ tenure of the office of Surveyor, much of the work of development consequent upon the growth of Hampstead from a semi-rural village to a thickly populated metropolitan suburb came under Mr. Lowe’s able direction and supervision.
Born in 1840, the subject of this notice was educated at the Philological School, London, and in Geneva, and served an apprenticeship to Mr. Charles Broadbridge, architect and surveyor.
In 1859 he was appointed chief clerk to the surveyor of Marylebone, and subsequently became assistant surveyor, holding the appointment until 1871, when he was elected Surveyor to the Hampstead Vestry. Among the works designed and carried out by him have been extensive street improvements, public libraries, mortuary buildings, dust-destructor works and the formation and equipment of a stoneyard.
In 1901 he retired under the provisions of the Borough Councils Act, but continued to practise as a consulting surveyor until his death.
Mr. Lows was a Fellow of the Surveyors’ Institution and a Member of the Incorporated Association of Municipal and County Engineers, of which he was President in 1900. Upright and conscientious in all things, he enjoyed the full confidence and esteem of his staff and of the community of Hampstead, whom he served faithfully and well.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 5th March, 1867, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 4th February, 1896.