Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,112 pages of information and 233,645 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 14 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2
1873 Charles Henry Phillips invented a mixture magnesium hydroxide in water that was used as an antacid and laxative.
1879 The British trademark for the compound was registered as Milk of Magnesia.
1894 A trademark for Milk of Magnesia was registered in America.
1882 Charles Henry Phillips died and his four sons took over the running of the company, called the Charles H. Phillips Co.
1923 Company was acquired by the Sterling Drug Inc.
1930-40s Company produced the lesser known Phillips Milk of Magnesia Cleansing Cream and Phillips Milk of Magnesia Texture Cream, both used for improving the skins complexion.