Charles Frederick Boak
Charles Frederick Boak (c1887-1950)
1950 Obituary 
"Charles FREDERICK BOAK spent nearly thirty years of his life in India, where he was concerned with electrification schemes and equipment of laboratories, engineering colleges, and industrial undertakings. He received his technical training at the Lincoln School of Science and Art and served his apprenticeship as a pupil with Messrs. Ruston, Proctor and Company, Ltd., in the same city, from 1902 to 1907.
He arrived in India in 1907 and was connected with Messrs. Crompton and Company in the post of assistant engineer in the mechanical engineering department of Messrs. Martin and Company, Ltd., at that time managing agents for the former firm in Calcutta. He also found time to lecture in mechanical and electrical engineering subjects at the Bengal Technical Institute and later at the Calcutta Technical School. In 1913 he became assistant manager under Messrs. Martin's agency for Messrs. Crompton, who, five years later, appointed him chief engineer and manager. In this capacity he was closely concerned with various schemes of importance in connection with the supply and installation of electrical equipment for towns and the provision of high-pressure steam pumping plant for de-watering manganese mines. In addition he was responsible for complete colliery electrification schemes and the installation of power plant drives for industrial undertakings.
From 1929 to 1936 Mr. Boak was representative for Messrs. Bruce Peebles and Company, Ltd., in India, and was chiefly engaged on town and works supply. He then returned to England, and in 1937 became associated in a consultative capacity with Messrs. Walter Bridges and Company, Westminster, consulting engineers, his activities in this connection being similar to those of his last appointment in India.
He continued in this work for some years. His death occurred on 12th February 1950, at the age of sixty-three. Mr. Boak was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1912, and he was transferred to Membership in 1928. He was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers. In 1909 he volunteered for service with the Calcutta Light Horse and he served with the India Defence Force throughout the 1914-18 war."