Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Charles Curtis Gray

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Charles Curtis Gray (1870-1931)

1931 Obituary[1]

"The Late Mr. C. C. Gray.—We regret to note the death, after a short illness, on February 4, at his home at Colington, Midlothian, of Mr. Charles Curtis Gray, , Divisional Road Engineer, Scotland, of the Ministry of Transport. Mr. Curtis Gray, who was born on April 27, 1870, was articled to Mr. A. Latham, borough engineer and surveyor to the Margate Corporation, and, after completing his articles, was appointed engineering assistant to the Corporation. He spent ten years in Margate, (and during this time many important works of reclamation of foreshore and reconstruction of sea walls and promenades were carried out. He was afterwards appointed assistant surveyor to the Malvern Urban District Council, his chief then being Mr. (now Sir) Henry Maybury. Later, he was appointed successively engineer and surveyor to the Urban District Councils of Hayes (Middlesex) and Scunthorpe.

Early in 1914, Mr. Curtis Gray, became engineering inspector on the Road Board, and during the early part of the European War was responsible for the construction and maintenance of camp and military roads throughout East Kent. Subsequently he was transferred to Scotland to undertake road work in connection with H.M. Factory at Gretna Green, and carried out inspections on all roads in Scotland which were of military or naval importance. In 1919, Mr. Curtis Gray was transferred as an engineering inspector to the Ministry of Transport, and was appointed Divisional Road Engineer for Scotland in 1924. which appointment he was holding at the time of his death. He was elected to full membership' of the Institution of Civil Engineers on December 1, 1925.

See Also


Sources of Information