Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,176 pages of information and 197,776 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Charles Henry John Chetwynd-Talbot

From Graces Guide

(Redirected from Charles Chetwynd-Talbot)
Jump to: navigation, search
1904.
1909. with Clement and Shorland.
1961. Ingestre Hall.

Major Charles Henry John Chetwynd-Talbot (1860-1921), 20th Earl of Shrewsbury, 5th Earl Talbot and 20th Earl of Waterford was a British peer.

1860 November 13th. Born the only son and heir of the Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 19th Earl of Shrewsbury. His grandfather, Henry Chetwynd-Talbot, 18th Earl of Shrewsbury, had inherited the earldoms from a very distant cousin, and had to prove his claim to the premier earldoms of England and Ireland on the Roll in the House of Lords, by demonstrating his descent from the 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury and Waterford.

He inherited the title while young, and proceeded to ruin his prospects by eloping with a married woman, Ellen Miller-Mundy, née Palmer-Morewood, wife of a very rich commoner and granddaughter of the 7th Baron Byron (a distant kinsman of the poet Lord Byron, the 6th Baron). The couple had one son and one daughter; their son, Viscount Ingestre, died in the lifetime of his parents but had several children including the 21st Earl of Shrewsbury and Waterford.

Lord and Lady Shrewsbury separated; and Lady Shrewsbury lived on alone plagued by monetary difficulties and ostracised by society. Not all the influence of Lord Shrewsbury's two well-married sisters, nor his own position served to rehabilitate her, such being the mores of the Victorian and Edwardian age.

Lord Shrewsbury was also responsible for the sale of Alton Towers, which had been the family seat of previous Earls of Shrewsbury (and had come into this branch once the will of the 17th Earl had been overturned).

Under his patronage, Clement Talbot was founded in 1903 to import the popular French Clement car into Britain. The famous automobile brand Talbot has emerged from the name of the Earl.

1904 'SHREWSBURY AND TALBOT, The Earl of, Ingestre Hall, near Stafford; Alton Towers, Stoke-on-Trent, Shavington, near Crewe. Cars: Panhard, 16, 20, 27-h.p. Talbots. Is Chairman of the Clement-Talbot, Co., Ltd., Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, London, W. manufacturers of the Talbot car. Chairman of the British Automobile Syndicate, which is extensively engaged in the importation, manufacture, and repair of motor-cars. Chairman of the Shrewsbury and Challoner Co., Page Street, Westminster, London, S.W., solid rubber tyre manufacturers; proprietor of the Maison Talbot, 1, Long Acre, London, W.C., wholesale and retail agents for licensed Michelin tyres. Clubs: White's, Carlton.' [1]

1921 May 7th. Died

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Motoring Annual and Motorist’s Year Book 1904