Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,439 pages of information and 211,690 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cecil William Kennaway (c1873-1944)
1945 Obituary 
CECIL WILLIAM KENNAWAY, who died on the 6th December, 1944, at the age of 71, was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, New Zealand, and at King's College, London. He spent some time as a sea-going Engineer in the Merchant Service, and in 1899 joined the staff of Preece and Cardew (now Preece, Cardew and Rider). After serving for a few years in the drawing office and assisting in the preparation of specifications and designs for the various works then in hand, he was selected in 1901 to be the firm's Resident Engineer for the installation of the electrical supply undertaking at Whitby. Afterwards he was appointed to the post of Borough Electrical Engineer, but in 1903 he returned to Preece and Cardew, who were then engaged on the electrification of H.M. Dockyards both at home and abroad, and he was from then onwards actively engaged in the laying out of electrical installations at the Gibraltar and Malta Dockyards. Work for overseas installations had a particular interest for him, and he supervised for many years much of the firm's activities in this direction. He was made a partner in the firm of Preece, Cardew and Rider in 1924, retiring in 1940. Unfortunately, his later days were marked by tragedy occasioned by the war, an enemy bomb in 1944 demolishing his home, killing his wife and causing him severe injuries from which he never fully recovered. Rather reserved in manner, and somewhat retiring in his disposition, he possessed a charm which endeared him to those who came in contact with him. Possessed of a good memory and being of very methodical habits, he was intolerant of anything slipshod and nothing but the best satisfied him.
He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1901 and was elected a Member in 1907.