Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,772 pages of information and 199,882 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
On April 12th 1886 Charles P. Sisley and a small band of teenage enthusiasts formed the Catford Cycling Club.
By 1897 it was probably the foremost track racing club in Britain with branches in Paris, Bristol, Cardiff and Nottingham; a membership of 434 and receipts of £1650 (now probably £250,000).
In that year of 1886 the club promoted the first ever 'Open' Road Race over 25 miles.
In 1894 the championships were held in Glasgow and J. W. Stocks won the professional version. Not until 1922 did the Catford produce another world champion, H. T. Johnson took the amateur sprint title at New Brighton Stadium.
The growing popularity of the motor car hastening the decline of interest in track racing resulted in the demolition of the Catford track in 1900