Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
or Castlefield Ironworks, Manchester
Some of the buildings have survived, but their former industrial significance is diminished by the fact that the property is known by its final name, the J S Bass Warehouse. It was built on a sandstone bluff on the site of the Roman fort, hence the name Castlefield. The 1848 O.S. map shows that some short lengths of the Roman walls were still intact in the area, and that a few streets and buildings were still aligned to the line of the old walls.
In the 1850s, Castlefield Ironworks was occupied by Vaughan and Hossack, Engineers and Machinists.
Crighton and Son subsequently occupied the Castlefield Ironworks (their address being Castle Street, Knott Mill). Earlier, in 1850, they were listed as machinists and iron and brass founders at 58 Great Bridgewater Street. The Castlefield Ironworks address is shown in directories of 1879 and 1895