Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,950 pages of information and 210,197 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cannon Brewery Co Ltd, 160 St. John Street, Clerkenwell
c.1720 founded by Rivers Dickson at 192 St John Street, Clerkenwell
1751 Named Cannon Brewery
By 1798 the company was trading under the name John Richard and Rivers Dickson
By 1818 it was trading as John Dickson
By 1823 The brewery was run by Gardner and Company
From 1828/9 it was known as William and Philip Gardner.
By 1863 the business was owned by George Hanbury and Barclay Field
1876 it became the Cannon Brewery Company.
1895 Registered as a limited liability company in January with 110 public houses.
1912 Acquired Holt and Co, Marine Brewery, 52 Broad Street, Radcliffe Road, East Ham in October, with 27 public houses (which had been founded in 1837).
1923 Acquired Clutterbuck and Company, Stanmore Brewery, Stanmore Hill, Harrow, Middlesex (established c.1773)
1928 Acquired Christie and Co of Hoddesdon
1930 Acquired by Taylor Walker and Co
1955 Brewing ended; the brewery was converted into a distillery and bonded warehouse in 1959.
1960 Became known as Ind Coope (London) Limited.