Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,766 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
c.1698 The Hanbury family began using the port of Caerleon
18th century works in Caerleon included the forge which converted pig iron to bar iron, a mill which rolled iron into plates, and a tin mill (in Ponthir). The Caerleon Tramroad went close to the tin works and the forge
c.1720 Tin-plate making began at Caerleon forge
1754 A Swedish "spy" recorded his observations of operations at the Caerleon Forge
1814 Sale by auction of the works including the tramroad. Richard Fothergill further developed the forge; his second son, Thomas Fothergill junior, succeeded him at the ironworks.
1833 The forge was taken over by the Moggridge family.
Mid-19th century - the tinplate works were owned by the Jenkins family up to this time
1874 the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway opened with powers to acquire the tramroad, submerging its line north of the Ponthir Works. South of the Ponthir Works, the tramroad seems to have continued operating for some time
1885 Caerleon Forge leased to the Llwydarth Iron, Steel and Tinplate Co.
1894 The forge was leased to the Eastern Valleys Tinplate Co, and later to Messrs. Richards and Hopkins Ltd.
1907 Thomas replaced Hopkins
1909 the Foundry was taken over by the Caerleon Tinplate and Engineering Works and re-named the Brittania Works.
1914 John Paton bought the works of Caerleon Forge; the firm was incorporated under the name of Caerleon Works Ltd.
The tin works continued in use until the 1920s