Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,968 pages of information and 233,607 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Rheinstrasse, Berlin-Friedenau
1886 Carl Paul Goerz (1854 -1923) founded the C.P. Goerz Company as a mail order company, producing mathematical and drawing tools for schools.
1887 Carl Moser, an employee of the company, started the photo supply activity.
1888 Goerz acquired F. A. Hintze's mechanical workshop and began producing cameras.
c.1889 Goerz began making optical lens with the trade name of Lynkeioskop C/2. Lens making became the primary business.
1890 the company name was changed to Optische Anstalt C. P. Goerz.
1890 Goerz products were first introduced to the American public during the World's Fair at Chicago and they subsequently opened a company office in New York. This branch would begin producing cameras in 1902.
1892/3 Goerz introduced the double anastigmat type of lens.
c.1896 Goerz obtained rights to produce the Ottomar Anschütz focal plane shutter with speeds up to 1/1000 of a second. Cameras were produced with Goerz-Anschutz name (shortened to Ango in 1905).
1905 the American branch adopted the name C. P. Goerz American Optical Co in New York which contained full manufacturing capabilities.
1908, Goerz Photochemisches Werk GmbH was founded in Berlin-Zehlendorf. This company produced roll film and film for the movie industry.
1910 Goerz became owner of the Sendlinger Optische Glaswerke, an optical glass maker near Munich
1923 Carl Paul Goerz died.
1926 the German branch of Goerz merged with ICA, Contessa-Nettel and Ernemann to form Zeiss Ikon. As a result of the merger, only the Zeiss company continued to produce lens. The German Branch of the Goerz was no longer marketed. However the American branch continued.
1927 Burke and James Co, led by George Drucker, bought the German Goerz optical company holdings, complete with all existing lenses, tooling, and rights to the name and formula.
1975 the American branch closed operations.