Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,685 pages of information and 232,152 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Jeweller and Silversmith, of Bond St, London
1849 Founded by Charles Frederick Hancock (b. 1807 in Birmingham).
C.F. Hancock, a previous partner in the firm of Hunt & Roskell, opened his own shop at 39 Bruton Street obtaining soon after a Royal Warrant of Appointment from Queen Victoria (advertising as 'successors of Storr & Mortimer').
The firm had a manufactory workshop (closed in 1897) adjoining his premises in Little Bruton Street and retailed jewellery and silver manufactured by silversmiths as Robert Hennel & Sons, Hayne & Cater, C.T & G. Fox and others.
1866 After the partial retirement of C.F Hancock, the firm continued its activity as Hancock, Son & Co. The partners were Mortimer Hancock (son of C.F. Hancock), Horatio Stewart and Henry John Dore.
1870 C.F. Hancock fully retired; the firm's name changed to Hancocks and Co. Charles Frederick Hancock junior (son of C.F. Hancock) entered into the partnership.