Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,141 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
La Compagnie Électro-Mécanique was a large French engineering company.
Founded in 1885 in Paris.
Opened a factory at Le Bourget (1903)
Received the first orders for French-built marine turbines, for the torpedo-boat destroyer 'Chasseur', ordered in 1906 and launched in 1909, and the steamer 'Charles Roux'.
1920 CEM bought the ex-Westinghouse factory in Le Havre (factory built in 1895 by Westinghouse).
The company was taken over by Brown, Boveri & Cie (BBC).
1977 BBC sold the nuclear power branch of CEM to Alsthom, which took over the Bourget plant, which specialised in large steam turbines and alternators.
The takeover by Alsthom was completed in 1983 , when the BBC sold most of CEM's remaining assets. A small part, the electrical equipment and the small electric motors manufactured in Lyon, as well as some commercial and engineering activities, remained with BBC.
See Wikipedia entry for Compagnie électro-mécanique.