Brush Electrical Machines
Brush Electrical Machines of Loughborough, a manufacturer of large generators for gas turbine and steam turbine drive applications
1889 Brush Electrical Engineering Co was incorporated to take over the business of the former company Anglo-American Brush Electric Light Corporation and acquire larger premises at Falcon Works, Loughborough .
1957 Over the next sixty years the business grew by acquisitions until the Brush companies were incorporated into the Hawker Siddeley Group under the name of the Brush Electrical Engineering Co Limited. Within the Hawker Siddeley Group the company manufactured a vast range of electrical products including; turbo-generators, salient pole machines, induction motors, traction motors and generators, traction locomotives, switchgear, transformers and fuses.
1973 Supplied 40 large electrical motors for the new Anchor Steelworks at Scunthorpe
by 1975 Brush Traction was part of Brush Electrical Machines
1991 Hawker Siddeley Electric Power Group was subject to a hostile takeover bid of £1.5 billion from BTR Industries, the large engineering conglomerate. The bid was successful so the Brush companies then became part of the BTR organisation.
1996 The FKI Group acquired the Hawker Siddeley Electric Power Group from BTR for a price of £182 million.
2008 FKI was acquired by Melrose Industries plc. Brush has been retained by Melrose, with the following divisions remaining in 2016: Brush Turbogenerators; Brush Transformers; Harrington Generators International.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 15 July 1889
- The Times July 3, 1971
- Companies House filing
- The Times February 12, 1973
-  Wikipedia