Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,193 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
About the middle of the 17th century the East India Co constructed a small wet dock at Blackwall for fitting out their vessels after launching from the adjacent shipbuilding yards. This dock was the first on the Thames to be fitted with gates.
This dock was later incorporated in the Brunswick Dock
1789–90 John Perry (1743-1810) excavated the Brunswick (or Perry’s) Dock. He built its flanking 120-foot mast house – a major Thames landmark until its demolition in 1862.
From 1782 to 1806 some fifty ships were recorded as having been built in the shipyard, 21 of which were for the British Navy.
The Brunswick Dock was absorbed by the East India Dock.