Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 127,468 pages of information and 201,045 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Browett, Lindley and Co initially of Sandon Works, Salford, and then Sandon Works, Clifford Street, Patricroft, Manchester.
1884 Name changed to Browett, Lindley and Co
1887 Exhibited 'Sandon' gas engine at Manchester Exhibition
1888 Produced vertical electric light engine. 
1888 Advertising the 'Acme' governor
1890 The Sandon Works in Patricroft was started in 1890, and enlarged in 1900/1901 by the addition of the erecting shop (see illustrations) and a new engine and boiler house. The erecting shop was served by two overhead electric cranes made by Royce Ltd. New equipment included a large planing machine by Sellers (USA), powered by a Lundell 30 HP motor, and a smaller planer by the Butler Machine Tool Co of Halifax, driven by a Hodgson-Wright 15 HP motor. 
1892 Crystal Palace Electrical Exhibition. High-speed steam engines for dynamo driving. Acme Govenors.
1899 The company was registered on 28 July, to take over the business of engineers of a private company of practically the same name. 
1900 Herbert Lindley left the partnership
1901 Details of factory extension 
1902 Large triple expansion engines for Salford Corporation (see photo)
c.1904 The Siamese Tramway Company Ltd had two 200 kW Dick, Kerr generators powered by Browett, Lindley engines. The Siam Electricity Company Ltd had one 200 kW unit 
c.1905 Supplied three 360 hp steam engines for the North Melbourne Electric Tramway & Lighting Company 
1907 Three engines driving 225 kW generators at Auckland (NZ) City Council’s refuse destructor station. The station burnt the city’s refuse and used the heat to produce steam for Auckland’s first public electricity supply  (see photos)
1907 November. Supplied to the Walkden Spinning Co an inverted triple Corliss engine of 1,600 hp at 75 rpm. 22 ft dia flywheel for 45 ropes also drove a 250kw generator
Several Browett, Lindley engines were installed at Mercer Street Power Station, Wellington, New Zealand
1910 Produced three 1500 HP vertical triple expansion engines for the Buenos Aires & Pacific Railway Co's generating station at Bahia Blanca (See photo)
Browett, Lindley were predominantly makers of high speed engines, but they did make three large cotton mill engines, including a vertical triple expansion 1800 HP engine for Alder Mill, Leigh. Another was a 1600 HP vertical triple expansion engine at Fernhurst Mill, Chadderton.
1,000hp Browett, Lindley compound 3-cylinder reciprocating engines running at 300rpm, for Cameroon Sugar Company.
1929 Receivers appointed; as a result it was found that the Company Secretary had been taking money from the company for 20 years
1938 Death of Thomas Browett
1954 Company closed
Name Plate. Exhibit at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry