Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,113 pages of information and 245,598 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Bromley Gasworks

From Graces Guide
ca.1879. Station Meter built for Bromley Gasworks by W. Parkinson and Co. Four of these were installed.
1955.
1955.

1870 The Imperial Gas Light and Coke Co developed gas works at Bromley on the east bank of the River Lea[1]; the coal supplies arrived by barge into an adjacent dock built for the company. This may have originally been known as St Leonard’s Dock and is now known as Cody Dock.

1873 Bromley works become operational.

1876 The company was taken over by Gas Light and Coke Co but this change did not affect the works.

1897 Carburetted Water Gas (CWG) plant was installed.

1916 A rail link was installed

From 1920 Several improvements were made to the works including automation of the CWG plant in 1930

1952 A new manufacturing plant was installed consisting of Glover-West Vertical Retorts.

1960s After the introduction of North Sea Gas, the Gas works as a production facility was closed.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Buildings of England, London 5: East. By Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner
  • [1] National Archives
  • [2] THe history of Cody Dock by Paul Ferris