Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,170 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of West Bromwich.
c.1790 Bromford works were established
1816 The Dawes, owners of the ironworks, gained a patent
John Dawes and Sons operated the ironworks
1850 Dissolution of the Partnership between John Samuel Dawes and William Henry Dawes, late of the Bromford Works, at West Bromwich, in the county of Stafford, Iron Masters, under the firm of John Dawes and Sons. William Henry Dawes would meet the debts.
1873 Boiler explosion, due to corrosion, caused several fatalities.
1878 William Henry Dawes died, leaving his estate to his widow Elizabeth. Investments were later made in improving the foundry at Bromford.
1887 Elizabeth Dawes, carrying on business as John Dawes and Sons, finished iron manufacturer at Bromford Iron Works, was in the Court of Bankruptcy; the estate was bankrupt, even though some creditors had proposed reconstruction
1888 Part of the Bromford Ironworks was reopened as Bromford Iron Co
1892 Partnership dissolved of B. Scarf and E. Hadley, under the style of Bromford Iron Co
1909 Novel continuous steel-strip rolling mill installed, to the design of Messrs F. Scarf and J. W. Hal (of Birmingham).
1944 Frederick Scarf, chairman and managing director of Bromford Iron Co, died
Possibly later connected with Bromford Iron and Steel Co