Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,822 pages of information and 211,931 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Works at Ravenhead, St. Helens, Lancashire, and warehouse at Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge, London (1801)
Established 1773 at St Helens, as the British (Cast) Plate Glass Manufacturers
c.1786 A rotative engine was ordered by the "Plate Glass Company" from Boulton and Watt to grind glass.
1794 The whole property of the Governors and Company of the British Plate Glass Manufacturers was advertised for sale by auction
1801 Advertised sales outlets for plate glass in London and Ravenhead
1819 The Governors and Company of the British Plate Glass Manufacture were incorporated by Act of Parliament for a further term
1854 The Ravenhead Works were visited by a party from the British Association meeting
1875 William John Blake left his shares in the company to his brother Henry Wollaston Blake.
1894 Shares traded.
1901 Ravenhead site taken over by Pilkington
1904 The company was in liquidation