Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,971 pages of information and 229,026 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
British Glass Industries, of Canning Town, London
1919 Company formed to acquire 2 factories - at Leeds and Canning Town.
1920 British Glass Industries entered into contracts to acquire controlling interest in a number of undertakings making electric light bulbs, tumblers, lamp glass used for scientific and medical and industrial purposes, crystal and table ware, and other types of glass. These companies were to be amalgamated and controlled through Webb's Crystal Glass Co Ltd, the controlling interest in which would be owned by British Glass Industries. Companies concerned included:
British Glass would also enlarge its plant at Queenborough (previously Medway Glass).
1920 Extraordinary General meeting held to approve increase in capital to finance the expansion which would make the company one of the world's largest in most forms of glass. Clarence Hatry appointed President of the company; he would occupy a similar position at United Glass Bottle Manufacturers. British Window Glass Co was a subsidiary which would shortly start production. The most important acquisition was the controlling interest in United Glass Bottle Manufacturers. Expansion at Canning Town and Queenborough; new works were being erected at Charlton by United Glass Bottle Manufacturers. Controlling interest would also be purchased in Webb's Crystal Glass Co. The semi-automatic "Empire" machine would be installed at other plants having been in use at Tutbury for a year.
1922 The company was in financial difficulties; the bottle factories at Canning Town and Leeds were put into a separate company(Queenborough added later); finance raised by issue of debentures and shares