Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 53 Bothwell Street, Glasgow.
c.1883 Company established
1898 The company was registered on 20 May, to acquire certain businesses of importers and manufacturers of dyewood and tanning materials. , namely John Dawson and Co. (est. 1852) of Alloa, Clackmannanshire, E. D. Milne and Co. (est. 1810) and Mucklow and Co. (est. 1842), both of Bury, Lancashire, and W. R. Scott and Co. of Glasgow. W. R. Scott & Co. had been established in 1883 with a factory at Carntyne.
Early difficulties were caused partly by the continuing decline of logwoods in favour of synthetic dyestuffs, and partly by ill-advised investment in works in the Argentine. A plant at Lacovia, Jamaica, was initially unprofitable, but provided sufficient competition for an American company, United Dyewood Corporation, to come to an agreement in 1910, leading to the liquidation of the British firm and the formation of a new company, the British Dyewood Co. Ltd, registered in 1911 and owned by United Dyewood.
1911 Company reformed as the British Dyewood Co.