Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1823 Company formed to supply gas made from whale oil.
The works were at Canons' Marsh (then known as Lime Kiln Lane). The light was claimed to be four times as brilliant as that from coal-gas.
The Bristol Gas Light Company opposed the proposal to establish the company, withdrawing its opposition when the proposed new company agreed to bear a proportion of the loss sustained by lighting the public lamps.
The Oil Gas Company was forced to notify its rival of its intention to open streets and needed to mark its pipes and mains with a distinctive groove.
1836 The price of oil went up and the Oil Gas Company applied to Parliament to be allowed to use coal.
The Gas Light Company then renewed its efforts to claim the money owed to it, eventually settling for £6000.
1847 the Oil Gas Company changed its name to the Bristol and Clifton Gaslight Company.
At this time the two companies were operating under agreements on price, meter policy and debtors; when the City Council asked for tenders in 1850, Bristol and Clifton Gaslight Company tendered for Westbury and the Bristol Gaslight Company for Bedminster, St. James, St. Paul and St. Philip & Jacob after agreeing to divide the tenders between them.
These operating agreements soon led to discussions for amalgamation.