Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The railway was built between a terminus beneath the Clifton Suspension Bridge (later called Hotwells Station) and Avonmouth; it was 5.75 mile long.
1865 The line opened. The plan to extend it to Temple Meads station was never implemented.
From 1869 the company was in the hands of a receiver; several works were incomplete.
1871 the company was absorbed by the GWR, which had its own plans to build an extension line from Clifton to Avonmouth, and from a point South of Sneyd Park used the incomplete Pier Company route to Avonmouth.
1922 With the widening of the Portway road, part of the Bristol Port and Pier Railway had to be demolished so the Sneyd Park-Hotwells section was closed, as was the rest of the line, which was then dismantled.