Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,010 pages of information and 230,630 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1904 The station was brought into operation by the North Metropolitan Electric Power Supply Co
1907 officially opened. The station was used primarily to supply the local tramways. Coal was supplied by barge or by rail.
Between 1924 and 1955, extensions of the station were constructed, supplying power to the wider area of Enfield and parts of Essex.
1926 First extension of 40 MW
1928 First turbo-alternator to generate direct at 33 kV (Parsons 25 MW unit at Brimsdown "B"). Designed by Captain J. M. Donaldson. 
1938 Commissioning in December of pioneer high pressure plant at Brimsdown "A" operating at steam conditions of 1,900 lb/sq. in. and 930°F on a reheat cycle. At the time this was the highest steam pressure adopted in the UK for turbines.
The two boilers were of the Loeffler forced-circulation type, capacity 210,000 lb/h continuous maximum rating.. This was the only known British example of the Loeffler boiler system, which addressed a number of metallurgical and feedwater quality problems.
In 1959 the 'A' station's two Loeffler boilers supplied one 20 MW and one 31 MW Metropolitan Vickers turbine-alternators. The 'B' station had four C. A. Parsons and Co 25 MW turbo-alternators and one Metropolitan Vickers 56.9 MW twin set.
1974 Station decommissioned