Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,039 pages of information and 213,183 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of The Wicker, Sheffield.
1756 A business was established.
This site soon proved inadequate to the needs of the business, and a new foundry was established in Newhall Road - presumablyBrightside Foundry Co
The original foundry site was later included in the area occupied by the works of Vickers, Limited.
It was only a few years before Mr. Firth found his original works too small for him, and so he acquired what were known as the Old Newhall Running Grounds. He turned the grand stand into a pattern store and an existing hotel into offices. For some time this larger space was sufficient to satisfy the growing needs of the business, but eventually it, too, became too small, and the Carbrook Works and the Wicker Ironworks were started. In these the making of large rail rolling mills was commenced and in time very considerably developed.
1899 The company was registered on 18 September. 
Subsequently incorporated the firm of Walker, Eaton and Co., which made steam engines and rolling mills, and J. C. and J. S. Ellis, which made cast-iron pipes, boilers, and radiators in Sheffield and as heating engineers, London.
1900 Acquired Clayton, Howlett and Co., London
The following businesses were later acquired and absorbed into the Brightside Foundry and Engineering Co Ltd.:
1914 Ironfounders, engineers, heating engineers and brick machinery manufacturers. Specialities: large castings up to 100 tons, chilled rolls, general and hydraulic engineering. Employees 600. 
1921 - see illustration of ingot mould weighing 87.5 tons
Acquired Moorwoods, Limited, of Brightside, who were also specialists in large castings as well as other branches of engineering.
1923 Ambrose Firth died
1926 June: The company decided, for reasons of convenience and economy, to close the Wicker Works, Sheffield and henceforth carry on business at Newhall-road Attercliffe and Ecclesfield Works. The closing of the Wicker Works was to enable the company to offer considerable extra facilities for the production of all its manufactures at Newhall-road and Ecclesfield, where large extensions and improvements were carried out. One of the reasons influencing the firm was that of rating. The rates in Ecclesfield which is only just outside Sheffield, were lower than those in the city itself. The firm's head-office in future was now at the Attercliffe establishment.
1926 November: Manufactured a casting weighing as much as 90 tons for an anvil block. It was said to be one of the largest anvils ever made.
1956 Holding company formed: Brightside Engineering Holdings; subsidiaries: