Brighton and Hove Electricity Supply Co
1888 The name of the Brighton Electric Light Co was changed to Brighton and Hove Electric Light Co
1890 Faced with potential competition from the Corporation's own supply, the Brighton and Hove Electric Light Company notified its customers that they must sign a 3-year contract for supply or be cut off. About three quarters of the company's customers signed up.
However this only temporarily addressed the company's problems; on the 2nd April 1894 the company was taken over by the Corporation which was paid £5000 for the good will of their business, Arthur Wright, the generating station manager and engineer, became the municipal concern's Station Superintendent.
The Company became the Brighton and Hove Electricity Supply Co.
Sources of Information
-  Sussex Archaeology