Brighton Electric Light Co
1881 Robert Hammond, the agent for the Brush Arc Lighting system, staged a demonstration with 16 arc lamps in series to illum1nate the business of local shopkeepers.
1882 The Hammond Light and Power Company was formed and started to supply electricity on 27 February 1882, one of the first public electricity supplies.
Arthur Wright then developed a method for running incandescent lamps off the same circuit; demand grew so that by 1887 there were 1500 incandescent lamps, 34 arc lamps. 15 miles of overhead cable and round the clock operation had been started.
The first generator was erected in the yard of Reeds Foundry, Gloucester Road. As demand increased a new power station was built next door. By the time the new station was in operation the Hammond company had gone into voluntary liquidation and was acquired by the newly formed Brighton Electric Light Company Ltd.
1888 The title of the company became Brighton and Hove Electric Light Company Ltd.
Sources of Information
-  Sussex Archaeology