Bridge of Oich
over the River Oich, near Aberchalder, Scottish Highlands
One of the few surviving examples of a hybrid suspension/stayed bridge designed under the patent of James Dredge, Senior.
Span 47.4m. At the towers, the chains are made up of 12 wrought iron rods in parallel. The number of rods reduces progressively towards mid span, thereby economising on the use of wrought iron. Having rigid stays, rather than cables, helped reduce sway in the deck. The whole of the ironwork about twenty tons was forged on the spot, with the exception of iron castings. The bridge carried vehicles until 1932, when it was bypassed by a concrete bridge carrying the A82. In 1995-7, the bridge was strengthened and refurbished by Halcrow Crouch, and was re-opened to pedestrians in September 1997.
Sources of Information
-  Engineering Timelines - Bridge of Oich