Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 174,042 pages of information and 250,298 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Bretton Hall

From Graces Guide

The present Bretton Hall building was designed and built c.1720 by Sir William Wentworth, assisted by James Moyser, to replace the earlier hall. In 1792 it passed into the Beaumont family, latterly Barons and Viscounts Allendale, and the library and dining room were remodelled by John Carr in 1793. The hall was sold to the West Riding County Council in 1947. The hall housed Bretton Hall College of Education from 1949 until 2001 and was a campus of the University of Leeds from 2001 to 2007.

The pleasure grounds and parkland around the hall were the work of landscape gardeners Richard Woods in the 18th century and Robert Marnock, the estate's head gardener, in the 1820s and 1830s. The hall overlooks the River Dearne, which flows in an easterly direction through the parkland. The river is dammed to form two lakes. Oxley Bank, a linear earthwork, forms the park's eastern boundary.

Within and around the Grade II listed parkland and pleasure grounds are several historic structures. The parkland is the home of the 224-acre (91 ha) Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the 100-acre (40 ha) Bretton Country Park.

The above information is condensed from the Wikipedia entry.

Structures on the estate included Bretton Hall Conservatory (long since demolished) and several bridges. The bridges include the Cascade Bridge which crosses a waterfall between the Upper lake and the Lower Lake. A short distance to the north of this is an early iron bridge, Cut Bridge, Bretton Hall, which crosses The Cut (the canalised River Dearne). The original course of the River Dearne was used to form the two lakes, while the river itself was diverted as The Cut, running parallel to the lakes. Digging of the cut was started by Luke Holt in 1775.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information