Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,457 pages of information and 230,061 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bowden of Gray's Inn Road, Holborn, London, a type of motorcycle built from 1902 to 1905 by E. M. Bowden's Patents Syndicate Co.
1902 The earliest model had a 2hp Simms engine with magneto tucked in behind the seat tube, on top of the chain-stays. With a clutch and shock-absorber incorporated in the drive, the rear wheel was driven by silent chain and the pedals were placed ahead of the crankcase.
1903 The engine, with coil ignition, was supported in a cradle and Bowden controls were fitted. Another version was fitted with a Belgian FN engine and some of the models were sold as the New Bowden. Also used his own engines. It was the name first used for the Bowden (1902 to 1905) using Simms and FN engines which were usually positioned behind the seat pillar with silent chain-drive including a clutch to the rear wheel. The use of the prefix to the name did not last long and the company went on to become better known for carburettors and control cables.
1905 This was the last year of manufacture. After that the parent company concentrated for many years on producing control cables, levers and, eventually, carburettors.