Bow Power Station
1900 The Gatti's company, Charing Cross and Strand Electricity Supply Co, acquired Parliamentary powers to produce and supply electricity from a new generating station on land at Stratford, which was called Bow. The station operated on the AC system; six substations were established including those at Fenchurch St. in the City and St. Martins Lane in the West End.
1925 One of four stations (others being Deptford East, Acton Lane Power Station and St John's Wood) which continued in operation following the formation of the London and Home Counties Joint Electricity Authority in 1925; many other, smaller stations in central London were closed.
1925 The company was amalgamated with nine other generating companies in the London Power Co; Bow became one of the stations on which the company focussed its attention for expansion.
Bow power station was rebuilt and re-equipped several times.
1969 Bow power station closed and was subsequently demolished
Sources of Information
- Wikipedia