Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,608 pages of information and 213,708 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Selly Oak, Birmingham
1865 Advertisement: 'BOURNEBROOK IRONWORKS, SELLY OAK, NEAR BIRMINGHAM.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY Messrs. CLARKE and BARROWS (by order of the Mortgagee), on MONDAY, May 13th inst., commencing punctually at Eleven o'clock the forenoon, on the Premises as above, subject to conditions then and there read, the valuable lease, with immediate POSSESSION, of the above IRONWORKS, lately in the occupation of the Bournebrook Mill Company, together with the whole of the valuable MACHINERY, FIXTURES, and PLANT and about the well-arranged Mill and Forge, including two direct-action Horizontal High and Low-pressure Steam Engines, 40-horse power; extensive and massive Driving Gear, powerful iron Helve Forge, valuable 16-inch Forge Train, to work from 4-inch to 1 1/8-inch; pair of 14-inch Rolls, for 3½ and 2-inch Bars, with Pinions. Housings, and Bed Plate complete ; Cutting-down Shears for finished and Puddle Iron, capital 8½-inch Guide Roll Train, with two sets of Three High Bolting Rolls, and two sets of Guide Rolls; a pair of 10-inch Hand Rolls, with Housings, Pinions, Chucks, Set Screws, massive Foundation Plates, &c., complete; valuable assortment of Chilled Forge and Guide Rolls, four large Firing Boilers, with Steam and Feed Pipes, Mountings and seatings complete; five Puddling Furnaces and two Mill Furnaces, capital Roll Lathe, vertical high-pressure Steam Engine. by W. Dean [ William Dean (Birmingham)?]; Avery's Scales and Weighing Machines, Floor Plates, and other valuable Effects.
The Buildings comprise the wood and iron Roofs over the Mill and Forge, on cast-iron Pillars, Lathe Shop. Brick House, Mine Yard Stable, Smith's Shop, and Office; large Yard and Outbuildings belonging thereto, and include 10-horse Water Power which can be attached if requisite, together with about Eight Acres of capital MEADOW LAND.
The whole is held at a low yearly rental of £140., under a Lease for twenty-one years from the 24th of June, 1865 the Lessee being at liberty to remove the whole of the Trade Fixtures and Machinery at any time. The Lease will be produced at the Sale.
It is intended offer the above in one lot, in the first instance, when, if an acceptable offer is not received, the whole will then be divided and sold in suitable lots, without the least reserve, as set forth in the catalogues.
For further particulars and catalogues, apply to Messrs. Stubbs and Fowke, Solicitors, Bennett's, or to the Auctioneers, 38, Cannon Street, Birmingham.'