Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,618 pages of information and 217,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Borough Waterworks Company was formed in 1770, originally supplying water to a brewery and the surrounding area, which spanned the distance between London and Southwark Bridges. The adjacent area was supplied by the London Bridge Waterworks Company.
1822 London Bridge Waterworks was dissolved and its water supply licence was purchased by the New River Co.
The Borough Waterworks Company purchased the licence from the New River Company later that same year, and it was renamed the Southwark Water Co.
The company extracted water from the River Thames using steam engines to pump it to a cistern at the top of a sixty foot high tower.