Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,592 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Booth's Gin is a famous brand of London dry gin, founded by the Booth family around 1740 and, as of May 2009, still produced today. The distinctive bottle has a reference to the Red Lion distillery where the drink was produced.
Sir Felix Booth, 1st Baronet (1775 Roydon, Essex – 24 January 1850 Brighton, Sussex) was a wealthy UK gin distiller. His earlier family had founded Booth's Gin in London in 1740.
In 1832 Booth bought the site of the old Ophthalmic Hospital in Albany Street, Regent's Park as a site for his distillery.
In 1840 he went into partnership with William Grimble in order to produce vinegar from spirit left over from the manufacturing process. The site was in the NE corner of Cumberland Market. The venture was unsuccessful so they turned to the more conventional method of vinegar brewing.
1937 Acquired by Distillers Co
The brand is currently owned by Diageo Spirits.
Booth's Gin is still made as of March 2006.