Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,750 pages of information and 213,805 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1868 Partnership change. 'NOTICE HEREBY GIVEN that the heretofore subsisting between the undersigned WILLIAM RANDALL, GEORGE RANDALL, and JOHN RANDALL as Iron and Brass Founders and Agricultural Implement Makers, at the Bletchley Iron Works, Fenny Stratford, was DISSOLVED, this 28th day of December, mutual consent, and that all debts due to or owing by the late firm will be received and paid by the said GEORGE RANDELL and JOHN RANDALL.'
Mr. Holdom later disposed of the business, and Mr. William Randall, with his sons, again entered the business, which he continued for seven years.
1879 April. Advertisement. 'Charles Stuart, Engineer and Machinist...having removed from the Kennet Iron Works, Hungerford, to the above works Bletchley Iron Works lately carried on by Mr. Henry Harrison...Gives long list of 'Stuarts' Paragon Patents'...
1879 August. Bankruptcy. '...In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement or Composition with Creditors, instituted by Charles Stuart, of Bletchley Iron Works, Fenny Stratford, in the county of Bucks, formerly of Kennet Works, Hungerford, in the county of Berks, Mechanical Engineer....' 
His son, Herbert Akroyd Stuart joined his father at Bletchley and began experiments with oil engines.
1886 Herbert's first patent was taken out
1890 Joint patent of Herbert with Charles Richard Binney described the world's first compression ignition engine. Several experimental engines were built at Bletchley, one of which was installed at the newspaper offices of the Fenny Stratford Times; another went to the waterworks and a third to the brush factory of Messrs. Cooks. As the quality of the engineering on these engines was poor, George Wailes and Co, Euston Road, London built a subsequent batch of four.
1891 Akroyd-Stuart realised that the engine was ready for quantity production; Richard Hornsby and Sons, at Grantham, was offered the manufacturing rights to develop and market the Hornsby-Akroyd engine. Two of the Akroyd designed engines were subsequently exhibited by Hornsbys at the Royal Agricultural Show, held at Doncaster in June 1891.
1908 The Partnership of James Garner, of Bletchley Iron Works, Bletchley, and George William Bevis, of High-street, Fenny Stratford, carrying on business as General Smiths, at Bletchley Iron Works, under the style or firm of GARNER AND BEVIS. was on the thirtieth day of October, one thousand nine hundred and eight, dissolved by mutual consent