Blakely Ordnance Co
From Graces Guide
of 11 Pall Mall East, London, SW (offices) and works at 28 Gravel Lane, Southwark, London SE; 1 Bear Lane, Southwark, London SE; and at East Greenwich, London SE.
1863 Founded by Captain Alexander Blakely in partnership with John Dent; took over the works of Josiah Vavasseur, engineer and millwright, at 28 Gravel Lane, Southwark, London.; Josiah Vavasseur became manager and engineer of the new company.
1864 Blakely established a large factory at Blackwall Point, East Greenwich
1865 Joint-stock company formed to acquire the assets of the partnership known as the Blakely Ordnance Company. Captain Blakely was Managing Director. The company made a range of guns from 100 to 700 pounders.
1867 Company wound up; Josiah Vavasseur acquired the premises of the company at Bear Lane, Southwark, and continued the business there in the name of J. Vavasseur and Co., the works being styled the London Ordnance Works. The Greenwich works were closed.
- Blakely and his company have been extensively researched by Steven Roberts
- Captain Alexander Blakely RA, by Steven Roberts