Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,418 pages of information and 230,040 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Blackwood and Gordon, shipbuilders, of Paisley, later of Castle Street, Port Glasgow.
See Thomas Blackwood
1860 The Castle St yard was developed by Blackwood and Gordon after their move from Paisley in order to build larger ships.
1865 See 1865 Clyde Shipbuilders for detail of the tonnage produced. Launched a screw steamer of 600 tons.
1867 Mr Gordon died; the business was carried on by Mr Blackwood.
1887 Became insolvent. Temporarily closed after arranging with Murdoch and Murray to complete their outstanding contracts.
1889 Company restarted with four partners, Messrs Blackwood, McGeoch, Wallace and Purvis (who had worked at William Froude's testing tank and had been involved in the setting up Denny's tank at Dumbarton).
1890 Triple expansion engines for the 'SS Vulcan' and 'SS Vauban'
1894 Antwerp Exhibition. Showed model of SS Austerland of 950 tons and built in 1886.
1900 Company closed. Clyde Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd took over the yard.