Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,380 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1884 Plans were produced for an electric tramway that would connect North and South Shore, Blackpool. The Corporation paid for and maintained the infrastructure, whilst the Blackpool Electric Tramway Company, formed in January 1885, provided the electrical equipment, depot and tramcars.
1885 The tramway opened on the 29th September. The trams collected electrical current from a slot in the centre of the track but the operation was somewhat haphazard due to salt water and sand regularly filling the slot. Nevertheless the system was a commercial success.
1892 the Corporation took over the running of the tramway
1898 The Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad Co's new line was a rival line to Blackpool Corporation's tramway
1920 The Fleetwood line was taken over by Blackpool Corporation, the two lines were connected and for the first time, through running was introduced between South Shore and Fleetwood - see Blackpool, St Annes and Lytham Tramways.