Birmingham and Midland Bank
of Union Street, Birmingham.
Up to the 19th century, most of the businesses in Birmingham had done their banking with small firms, but after the banking crisis of 1825-1826 they looked for more secure alternatives.
1836 Charles Geach, a 28-year-old clerk at the Bank of England with good contacts in the business community, joined forces with local businessmen to form the Birmingham and Midland Bank, on 22 August, as a joint stock bank.
Geach's leadership has been credited with helping the young bank survive the turbulent economic conditions of the 1840s and 1850s.
1851 Acquired the 'Stourbridge Old Bank' of Bate and Robbins, the Birmingham and Midland Bank's first branch.
1862 Absorbed Nicholas Baker and Crane of Bewdley
1883 Absorbed Union Bank of Birmingham
1889-91 Absorbed several, mainly Midland, banks as well as the Central Bank of London
1891 Name changed to London and Midland Bank
1898 Acquired City Bank Ltd to consolidate its presence in the capital. It became one of the four largest banks in the UK and the headquarters were moved to Threadneedle Street.
1898 Name changed to London City and Midland Bank
1901 London City and Midland Bank absorbed Yorkshire Banking Co.
1908 London City and Midland Bank absorbed North and South Wales Bank.
1910 London City and Midland Bank absorbed Bradford Banking Co.
1913 London City and Midland Bank absorbed Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank.
1918 London City and Midland Bank amalgamated with London Joint Stock Bank
1918 Name changed to London Joint City and Midland Bank
1923 The name of the bank was changed to Midland Bank