Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,270 pages of information and 220,098 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Birmingham Guild and School of Handicrafts
late 1880s: the school was started at Kyre Hall with architect A. S. Dixon closely involved
1890 The school was founded formally; Montague Fordham was the first director in the Vittoria Street School for jewellers and silversmiths, set in Hockley, the centre of the jewellery trade. It was modelled on C. R. Ashbee’s 1888 Guild and School of Handicraft
1895 Under the guidance of E. R. Taylor, first headmaster at the Birmingham School of Art, the Guild became an independent workshop and limited company
1898 Moved to purpose-built headquarters at Great Charles Street.
1919 Merged with Hart, Son, Peard and Co.
Later it was taken over by Jones and Willis.
Until 1950 the address of "The Birmingham Guild Ltd., Architectural & Decorative Metalworkers" was still Grosvenor Road West and Sherbourne St., B16.