Bicycle Touring Club
Founded at Harrogate, in Yorkshire, on 5 August 1878 by an Edinburgh medical student, Stanley Cotterell, under its original name of the Bicycle Touring Club. It claims to be the oldest transport organisation in the world. Its headquarters were wherever Cotterell happened to be living. It had 80 members, all men.
The first woman, Jeanie A. Welford, joined in 1880.
In 1883, the Bicycle Touring Club was renamed the Cyclists' Touring Club to open membership to tricyclists. Membership rose to 10,627 and CTC opened a headquarters at 139-140 Fleet Street in London
1883 became the Cyclists' Touring Club