Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,776 pages of information and 213,825 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bernhard Schaeffer Harlow (1868-1942), senior partner of Robert Harlow and Son
1868 Born in Heaton Norris the son of Robert Harlow and his wife Emma Kinch
His sister Janet Somerville Harlow was married to Christian Frederick Budenberg of Schaeffer & Budenberg Ltd, later Budenberg Gauge Co. Ltd of Broadheath, Cheshire. He was named after Bernhard Schaeffer of Buckau, who had the patent for the Schaeffer pressure gauge, and Robert Harlow called his house, Buckau House after the area of Magdeburg the Schaeffer and Budenberg families came from.
1901 Listed as an Engineers Brassfounder and Finisher - Employer.
1942 Obituary 
The death occurred on September 26, 1942, at his home at Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire, of Mr. B. S. Harlow, senior partner in the firm of Messrs. Robert Harlow and Son, Ltd., and an original member of the Institute.
Born at Heaton Norris, Stockport, in 1868, Mr. Harlow was educated at the Stockport and Manchester Grammar Schools.
From 1887 to 1890 he served his apprenticeship in the brass foundry established by his father, Mr. Robert Harlow, in Stockport in 1833.
Following the death of his elder brother in 1895, Mr. Harlow came into sole possession of the firm and gave to it its present title. Later he was joined in the firm by his son.
Mr. Harlow was a man of many interests a nature lover, well-known rock climber, golfer, and keen angler. He was a life Vice-President of Stockport Infirmary, a Past-President of Stockport Rotary Club, and Vice-President of the Stockport Conservative and Constitutional Association.
1943 Obituary 
BERNHARD SCHAFFER HARLOW was governing director in the firm of Messrs. Robert Harlow and Sons, brassfounders and valve manufacturers, Heaton Norris, Stockport, and was the son of the late Mr. Robert Harlow, who founded the firm as far back as 1833.
His ancestors had been founders of brass for over 200 years. On the completion of his general education at Manchester Grammar School and his technical training at the Manchester Technical School, Mr. Harlow entered his father's works as an apprentice in 1887 and began an association with the firm which lasted for over fifty years until his death which occurred at Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire, on 26th September 1942, in his seventy-fifth year.
After assisting in the management he became proprietor of the business in 1895 and greatly extended the capacity of the works, which specialized in gunmetal engine and boiler mountings. Mr. Harlow was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1897 and was also an original Member of the Institute of Metals.
We regret to announce the death, which took place at his residence, Manor Road, Cheadle Hulme, on Saturday last, of Mr. Bernhard S. Harlow. Mr. Harlow had been in failing health for the last few months. His wife died some 13 years ago, and he leaves two daughters and one son Mr. Frank G Harlow.
Born on July 29, 1868 at 44 Wellington Road North, Heaton Norris, a house then adjoining the brass foundry of the Harlow firm, now covered by the offices of the works, he was the only son of Mr. Robert Harlow (the founder) by his second wife. He was educated at the Stockport and Manchester Grammar Schools.
His ancestors have been founders of brass for over 200 years; his grandfather, Samuel Harlow, made brass clock movements at Ashbourne and was clockmaker to the King. His father, Mr. Robert Harlow, came to Stockport in 1833 and started in business as a brass founder in Turner Street, off Warren Street, later removed to Princes Street, and afterwards built the present premises in Wellington Road North, to which considerable extensions were made in 1875.
On his death the business was continued by his eldest son, Mr. R. D. Harlow who was later joined by Mr. Bernard Harlow, who on the death of the former in 1895 came into sole possession and changed the title of the firm to Robert Harlow and Son. By this time the firm had gained a reputation for the highest quality of gun metal engine and boiler mountings and further extensions had to be made in 1913. During the Great War the capacity of the works was tried to its utmost in the production of munitions as they have ben during the present war. Mr. Harlow who now had the assistance of his son, paid great attention to the business, from which he was only absent on short holidays or when travelling abroad for the firm.