Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,458 pages of information and 230,061 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Benjamin Green (1813-1858)
1813 January 9th. Born the son of John Green and his wife Jane Stobart
1851 Living at Adelaide Terrace, Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Benjamin Green (age 38 born Corbridge, Nth.), Architect Engineer - Unmarried. With his father John Green (age 63 born Newton, Nth.), Architect Engineer - Widower. One other. One servant.
1851 'TO LET, AT NOVEMBER NEXT. A superiorly finished DWELLING HOUSE, situated No. 1, Adelaide Terrace, at present in the Occupation of Benjamin Green, Esq. containing excellent Dining, Drawing and Breakfast Rooms, Four Bed Rooms, and good Attics; Two Kitchens, with every requisite Convenience for a genteel Family.'
1852 September 30th. Death of his father and business partner
1853 October 1st. Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership subsisting between us, the undersigned, as Architects and Civil Engineers, and carried on at the Royal Arcade, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, has been Dissolved from the Day of September Instant. Dated this 30th Day of September, 1853. Benjamin Green. Matthew Thompson. Witness, Robert James Johnson.
1855 August 4th. Sued for unpaid accountant's bill and did not defend the case.
1855 August 8th. Age 42, he was admitted as a lunacy patient to Dinsdale Park.
1858 November 14th. Died age 45. Architect of Dinsdale Park. Probate to his sister Isabella wife of John Addison of Castle Hill, Maryport.
Wikipedia entry 
Benjamin Green was a pupil of Augustus Charles Pugin, father of the more famous Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. In the mid-1830s he became a partner of his father and remained so until the latter’s death in 1852. The two partners differed somewhat. John has been described as a 'plain, practical, shrewd man of business' with a 'plain, severe and economical' style, whereas Benjamin was 'an artistic, dashing sort of fellow', with a style that was 'ornamental, florid and costly'.
The Greens worked as railway architects and it is believed that the mail line stations between Newcastle and Berwick upon Tweed were designed by Benjamin. They also designed a number of Northumbrian churches, the best examples being at Earsdon and Cambo.
The Green’s most important commissions in Newcastle were the Theatre Royal (1836–37) and the column for Grey's Monument (1837–38). Both of these structures were part of the re-development of Newcastle city centre in neo-classical style by Richard Grainger, and both exist today. Although both of the partners were credited with their design, it is believed that Benjamin was the person responsible.
Another well-known structure designed by the Greens is Penshaw Monument (1844). This is a folly standing on Penshaw Hill in County Durham. It was built as a half-sized replica of the renowned Temple of Hephaestus in Athens, and was dedicated to John George Lambton, first Earl of Durham and the first Governor of the Province of Canada. The monument, being built on a hill is visible for miles around and is a famous local landmark. It is now owned by the National Trust.
Benjamin Green survived his father by only six years, and died in a mental home at Dinsdale Park, County Durham on 14 November 1858.