Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,446 pages of information and 207,488 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
c.1850 Robert Bruce Bell and Daniel Miller went into partnership, as civil engineers. The firm constructed a slip-dock for Mr. Robert Black on the estate of Kelvinhaugh, which was then occupied by Messrs. Aitken and Mansel, shipbuilders. This ship-dock was the first use of the hydraulic-purchase machinery invented and patented by Mr. Miller in 1849.
Built a dock for Tod and McGregor in Meadowside, followed by a slip-dock for the same firm alongside the graving-dock, but opening from the Kelvin rather than directly from the Clyde.
c.1862 Began a series of surveys of the harbour of Greenock.
Laid out and superintended the construction of the Albert harbour
Constructed the Prince’s Pier at Greenock harbour.
Responsible for improvements in the Port Glasgow. Made a new graving-dock on the site of that which had been constructed by James Watt, and which was the first work of its kind in Scotland.
Designed the Govan Graving Dock No. 1. Shortly after completing the Govan graving-dock, built a spacious graving-dock and a deep-water basin at Cadiz.
Developed plans for Belfast harbour, for improving the navigation of the River Ribble, on the construction of docks at Preston, and in 1872 a similar scheme for Cork Harbour.
Surveyed the coast of the River La Plata and designed a harbour and docks for Buenos Ayres.
Designed the Thames deep-water docks at Dagenham
Designed and superintended the construction of the Albert Bridge over the Clyde (completed 1871) and a bridge over the Kelvin. Also reconstructed the Portland-street Suspension Bridge, Glasgow.
Carried out at least three water supply schemes, for Grangemouth and for the cities of Rio Grande and for Pelotas, in Brazil.
Subsequently seems to have become Bell, Miller and Bell, who supervised the construction of the Albert Exhibition Palace, Battersea.