Bedford District Gas Co
1833 The Bedford Gaslight Company was formed as a co-partnership to supply the town of Bedford.
1864 The Bedford Gas Act dissolved and re-incorporated the company and extended the limits of supply.
The works were situated on Ford End Rd, adjoining the Midland Railway Line.
The Kempston Gas Company Ltd was in existence prior to 1892 when it obtained an Order to give it statutory authority. The works were on Mill Lane adjoining the River Ouse.
1924 the Bedford Company purchased the Kempston undertaking and changed its name to Bedford District Gas Company.
1949 On Nationalisation the undertaking became part of the Bedford Group of the Cambridge Division of Eastern Gas Board.
Sources of Information
- National Archives