Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,652 pages of information and 213,749 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1779 The Duke of Beaufort leased the land from Beaufort to Gilwern to the Kendall family. The lessees were empowered to erect one or more iron furnaces and any other works and buildings needed. The furnace was to be erected within eighteen months and was to cost no less than £1,000
1798 A second furnace was built and, soon afterwards, a forge, which was under the control of another partner, Joseph Latham.
1802 Beaufort was sending 31 tons of pig iron per week on average to Newport
1829 Charles Manby moved to South Wales to manage the Beaufort Ironworks.
1833 The Bailey brothers, Crawshay and Joseph, acquired Beaufort Ironworks from Messrs. Kendall and Co and added it to their Nantyglo Ironworks. Beaufort works were mainly employed in supplying pig iron to the new rolling mills at Nantyglo.
1845 Crawshay Bailey left his nephew in charge of the Nant-y-glo and Beaufort works.
1871 Bailey sold the iron works at Nantyglo and Beaufort for £300,000.
By 1874 The out-of-date Nantyglo and Beaufort works had both been closed