Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,931 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1920 Henry Percy Baughan founded the firm in Tyburn Lane, Harrow, to make cyclecars
1921 The business was moved to Lower Street, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
1921 A light cyclecar was tested. It had a single rear wheel driven by a chain from a three-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox, powered by an 8hp sv Blackburne V-twin that was set across the frame. The simple bodywork incorporated a dickey seat, for occasional use by a second passenger. It is unlikely that the design got much further than the drawing-board.
Also made motorcycles in 1921 and from 1930 to 1936.
Production was moved to the Lansdown area of Stroud.
There was a gap of nearly a decade during which time Baughan became prominent as a driver in sidecar trials. He later became involved with event organizing.
1929-1936 Baughan's motorcycles with sidecars had an optional drive for the sidecar wheel, under the control of the passnger. Baughan started to build machines to order - at the rate of about one per month. He also built solos and his models had engines ranging from 250cc to 500cc, with sv or ohv, and came from Blackburne, Sturmey-Archer or JAP.
1937 Production ended.
Succeeded by Baughan Engineers (Stroud)