Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,805 pages of information and 199,900 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Battersea Railway Bridge - properly called the Cremorne Bridge, after the pleasure grounds in Chelsea and originally commonly referred to as the Battersea New Bridge
The bridge was designed by William Baker, chief engineer of the London and North Western Railway, and was opened in March 1863 at a cost of £87,000. It carries two sets of railway lines and consists of five 120-foot lattice girder arches set on stone piers.
There is a three-arch brick viaduct on the north side of the bridge, with one arch having been opened to provide a pedestrian route under the railway, as part of the Thames Path. On the south side there are four arches, two of which are used as storage for the residents of a houseboat community located immediately downstream of the bridge, whilst the remaining two allow traffic on the B305 to pass under the rail line.
The bridge was strengthened and refurbished in 1969, and again in 1992